How Stress Negatively Impacts Students: The origins of stress and what students can do to prevent them

Anthony Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Stress is becoming a bigger issue now than it has been in the past decades of education administration. Students everywhere are finding themselves overwhelmed and are looking for ways to cope with this stress.

Many may ask: “Why are more people stressed out about school now than before?” As stated on MindBodyGreen, “In a 2010 national survey of college freshman, it was discovered that students’ perceptions of their drives to succeed and academic abilities are at an all-time high.” As we can conclude, one reason why stress has increased for students is because they have more of a drive to succeed in life. Students who want to succeed typically push themselves to their limits, taking not only the hardest classes, but also participating in many extracurricular activities that may look good on resumes. The amount of work and time put into these classes and activities in the end may accumulate to over 10 hours a day, even at a high school level. Countless amounts of students end up losing hours of sleep at night, leaving them more stressed to take on the next day.

Over time,  stress does not make  anyone look more beautiful. Stress can actually lead to the formation of rashes, an increased chance of heart disease, aches of all sorts, ulcers, insomnia, headaches, nausea, and recurrent infections. Because of these reasons, many may ask what one can do to overcome stress without jeopardizing their ambitious goals in life.

One way to battle stress would be having a strong social group which you can talk to, including friends and family. Interaction with other human beings has been proven to decrease the amount of stress a person may have.

In addition to interacting with other human beings, breaking up routines with exercise, hobbies, or even relaxing is also found to help with stress. Even exercising for 5 minutes could help take one’s mind off the numerous hours of homework still left to complete, making their moods better overall.

A third solution to battling stress is being better to your body. This means getting enough sleep for your body, eating well, and staying active.

Lastly, if stress gets to be too much for you, getting help never hurts. Talking to counselors is a great source of emotional support, which could help one overcome the struggle with stress. All in all, stress can be very bad on the human body, so it is important to follow these guidelines to make sure stress does not take control over your life.