Guidance Monthly Update: October 2023

The guidance department has some reminders to keep in mind during October. Photo from Connie Larsen, Dreamstime.come.

The first full month of the school year is complete! As the cool temperatures and colorful leaves of October creep around the corner, here are a few important upcoming events to keep in mind from guidance.
The midpoint of the first marking period passed on September 22, and thus peer tutoring for the 2023-2024 school year has begun. If you are struggling with a class, peer tutors are a great resource to utilize, as these students, who have succeeded in the class in prior years, can help explain concepts in a different way from your teacher and help you improve your understanding of the material.
October 11 will be a day of testing for sophomores, who will be taking the PreACT, and juniors, who will be taking the PSAT. Freshmen and seniors will have a delayed opening. For more information on this event, students and parents should check their emails.
If you missed the college fair held in September or are hoping to continue your college search, another will be held during lunch in the library on October 26. Counselors will continue to meet with seniors to go over the college application process.
Finally, at the end of October, freshmen will go over goal-setting lessons in continuation of their learning styles inventory.