Deaths in Music

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images; McG

The first weekend of September proved a tragic one for the world of music. The first marked the death of legendary tropical rock singer – songwriter Jimmy Buffett from Merkel-cell carcinoma, a rare and aggressive skin cancer, at 76. Just 3 days later the leader of infamous power rock band Smash Mouth, Steve Harwell, passed away from acute liver failure at the age of 56.

Jimmy Buffet: Sweet Life by the Salty Sea
James William Buffett was born on December 25, 1946 in Pascagoula, Mississippi. His father and grandfather were both sailors and he was exposed to the sea at a young age. His musical roots started with the trombone in his high school band. He attended Auburn University for one year, learning the guitar from a fraternity brother to “garner attention from girls.” He continued his education in community college and received a bachelors in history. In 1969 Buffet moved to New Orleans and busked for tourists before moving to Nashville in 1970. In Nashville he got a job as an editorial assistant for Billboard magazine.

On August 11, 1970, Buffet released his first album Down To Earth under now defunct Barnaby Records. It has a more folk-country style which differs notably from his later releases. In 1971 he moved to Key West, Florida, where he released multiple albums and formed the Coral Reefer Band. During this time his future wife helped him adopt his signature relaxed, casual, bright style, replacing ripped Levi’s and collarless shirts. In 1977 Buffet finally released his seventh, breakthrough album; Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes. Changes reached #12 on the Billboard 200, but the 6th song reached #8 on the Billboard 100 (and first on the easy listening chart). That song was “Margaritaville.”

With 57 albums and 67 singles; a Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville hospitality company which manages restaurants, retail stores, hotels, resorts and more; a dedicated fanbase (dubbed Parrotheads); and a billion dollar net worth, to say that Jimmy Buffet lead a successful, entertaining life and music career would be an understatement.

Steve Harwell: All Star
Steven Scott Harwell was born on January 9, 1967, in Santa Clara, California. His music career started in rap, in the Public Enemy inspired group F.O.S (Freedom Of Speech). In 1994, Harwell was a founding member of San Jose rock band Smash Mouth, named after an aggressive offensive style of American football. In 1997, Smash Mouth released Fush Yu Mang, an instant hit with more of a ska-punk sound than their later discography. The exception to this is the song “Walkin on the Sun”, which has more of a pop rock sound. “Walkin” reached #1 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart. In 1999 Smash Mouth released its most popular single to date: “All Star.” With a changed sound from earlier works, “All Star” represented a new direction for the band, and a spike in popularity for Harwell, whose voice was now the lead on an eventual triple platinum record. In 2001, the band recorded their second most popular song, “I’m a Believer,” a cover of The Monkee’s song of the same name. Both “All Star” and “I’m a Believer” were featured in the 2001 film Shrek, which is credited with the boom in popularity of both tracks.

Unfortunately, 2001 also marked tragedy in Steve Harwell’s life. Presley Harwell, his only son, passed away from acute lymphocytic leukemia at 6 months old. This contributed to the alcoholism Harwell struggled with his entire adult life. Smash Mouth would fall from the public eye into a niche but successful rock band. On a lighter note, in 2011 a writer at Something Awful offered 20 dollars if Harwell would eat 24 eggs. Harwell accepted the challenge if fans could raise 10k for St Judes Children’s Hospital, and if celebrity chef Guy Fieri would prepare the eggs. Fans raised 15k and Harwell ate his eggs.

In 2013 Harwell was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy and Wernicke Encephalopathy. In 2016 he collapsed on stage during a concert and was rushed to the hospital, leaving the band to play with a replacement singer. In 2017 he was hospitalized for cardiomyopathy, canceling a show.

Harwell became erratic in his final years of touring. In August 2020, Smash Mouth headlined a motorcycle rally in South Dakota, where Harwell proclaimed, “Now we’re all here together tonight. And we’re being human once again. F*ck that COVID shit.” The rally was declared a superspreader event by the NIH. In October 2021, at a beer and wine festival in New York, he threatened audience members and appeared to perform a Nazi salute on stage. This led to his announcement of retirement due to ongoing health issues. On September 3, 2023 his manager announced he was in hospice for late stage acute liver failure, and on September 4, he passed away.

Both Jimmy Buffett and Steve Harwell were infamous names in music and pop culture and will be sorely missed.