The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

Wholesome and Humorous: A review of Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls Cast: Netflix

The comforting and long-running series Gilmore Girls is the perfect show for the fall. It centers around family, warmth, and community. The first season introduces the main characters, quick witted teen mom Lorelai and her daughter Rory Gilmore. The love for their small hometown, Stars Hollow, and the many people in it is reflected throughout the whole season.
Gilmore Girls first launched on October 5, 2000 and quickly became popular. It is a seven season comedy-drama series and is rated a 8.2/10 stars. It was such a hit that on November 25, 2016 a mini series named Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life consisting of 4 more episodes was released. It can be found on many different streaming services including Netflix, Google Play, Apple TV, Vudu, and Amazon Prime.
The first season starts with Rory being accepted into Chilton, an advanced prep school preparing kids for their academic future. Lorelai must find a way to pay the expensive tuition and seeks many different options. Finally she hesitantly makes a difficult choice that changes the lives of the duo. Once her year has commenced at Chilton, Rory meets the infamous Paris Geller. Their frenemy relationship has a prominent impact on Rory through the season.
Other recurring characters are introduced. Sookie Saint James, Lorelai’s best friend, is a lively character and the chef at the inn that Lorelai runs. They had met there many years ago when Lorelai had run away at the age of sixteen after giving birth to Rory. This created tension between Lorelai and her parents, Emily and Richard Gilmore. Lorelai’s relationship with her rich parents is rocky throughout the seasons but does eventually grow stronger. Rory’s best friend, Lane Kim, lives in the antique shop with her strict Korean mother, Mrs. Kim. Throughout the season, it is clear that Lane does not agree with many of her mothers values which tend to be on the more conservative side. Luke Danes, the owner of the diner Luke’s is one of the most iconic characters in the series. His and Lorelai’s “friendship” is very strong as Lorelai spends a lot of time in the diner for food or to satisfy her coffee addiction. They’re relationship grows and builds in different ways as seasons progress. Romantic partners for both Lorelai and Rory develop in the first season with both girls having to change or make important decisions. Many members of the town are constant throughout the series. Including controlling Taylor Doose, eccentric Kirk Gleason, and town gossips Babette Dell and Miss Patty.
The first season, humorous and wholesome, is the perfect series to enjoy and relax at any time. The main focus is the captivating relationships between the people throughout the series as it creates a community beyond the basis of a town. Watch it now to experience it for yourself!