Met Gala 2024; Theme and Predictions

Billie+Eilish+at+the+2021+Met+Gala+
Picasa
Billie Eilish at the 2021 Met Gala

Met Gala 2024 Theme:
According to Vogue magazine, The Met Gala is an invite-only event to promote “fundraising benefits for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.” This event is known for being “fashion’s biggest night out” and Anna Wintour is the mastermind behind it all. Tickets go for $50,000 but some designers may buy an entire table for around $300,000. Along with Wintour making the guest list, she enlists help from Andrew Bolton to help pick the theme that year, and with all of this planning.
For the 2024 Gala, the theme is “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening fashion.” The theme was announced on November 8 and creative outfit ideas are looking promising. The theme is “very much an ode to nature and the emotional poetics of fashion” Andrew Bolton said to Harper’s Bazaar. He continues to explain that there will be three zones to the exhibit: land, sea, and sky. Bolton also states it is to promote a “sensorial appreciation of fashion.”

My Predictions for the Gala:
I love the thought of a guest wearing a suit made to look like a cloud in a way, using a material like pillow stuff to achieve the look of a cloud on the shoulders of the suit and continue the look down towards the body of the suit but not completely covering it. The actual suit color would be a nice gray-blue leaning towards the blue side to match the sky when it is about to storm. A nice touch to the pants would have raindrop stains on the pant legs to make it look like it was raining. To match the hair to the suit a liquid hair look also known as wet hair has been seen on Kim Kardashian and Megan Fox. If the individual would like to wear makeup, I would have a blue graphic liner in the same color as the suit and fake tears to make it look like rain down the face.

To take inspiration from land, I would like to see a green gown with leaves flowing down the gown in a vine formation. When envisioning this dress I imagine it as a ball gown version of Poison Ivy from DC comics, a dark green and very natural vibe. A corset bodice would create a beautiful silhouette and amazing contrast to the big poofy skirt, the bodice I imagine is strapless with leaves creating a rough edge on the top of the dress and as moving down the dress it gradually gets fewer leaves. I would like the skirt of the dress to be very flowy and have a long train that can be draped on the steps, like Billie Eilishs’ Met Gala dress in 2021. For the land aspect, I think it would be cool if guests wear traditional indigenous clothing if it aligns with their culture, seeing the traditional outfits made using the land around them from traditional artists will be a great difference between the other looks on the carpet.

Pulling from the last exhibit, the sea, the look of water I think is going to be very popular so to contrast that I think an outfit inspired by an animal in the water or to stick to nature part of the theme, putting a guest in an empire waist floor length dress the colors of different shells and overall a very vibrant dress. The cup for the dress is the classic sea shell shape taking inspiration from mermaids and the little mermaid that came out in 2023. Right beneath the bust would have a scalloped edge. For the skirt, layered silk organza starting at a dark blue working up the color grid until a light blue taking heavy inspiration from waves and the ocean in general. I think this combination of both the element in the sea and the water itself.

Overall, I am very excited to see what designers come up with for the Met Gala and I have some very high expectations for the outfit this year.