The Power of Teamwork; the Boys in the Boat

Taking up Oars; watch the boys in the boat row to victory
New York Times

The Boys in the Boat is a sporty and drama film that is two hours and 4 minutes long that was released on December 25, 2023.

The Boys in the Boat is an old fashioned and historical film that tells an inspiring story to the entire community, based on Daniel James Brown’s acclaimed book on the rowing team that won a gold medal in the Berlin Summer Olympics of 1936 for Washington University. George Clooney, the director of the movie, tells this classic story in a heartfelt way that hits deep and hitlights the amazing moment shared between the boys in the boat.

The movie is set during the 1930s, also known as the Great Depression where many people during the time period don’t know what to do with their life. The movie shows how everyone tries to care for their family or themselves but are unable too unless they find a solution. The movie also captures our attention on how many young men want to do something with their life even if it’s just to accomplish something like making a team. The coach understands where they are coming from and strives to make them feel important, and to feel like they can do something fun without worrying about anything else. They also need to do whatever it takes to win.

Callum Turner who played a young poor sensitive boy, Joe Rantz, tries out for the rowing team after finding out it can give him money to continue his education. His mother died when he was young and his father abandoned him, so he was always on his own trying to survive and receive money. Competing with hundreds of kids to try to make one out of eight spots, he luckily gets a spot. The only problem, the team doesn’t know how to work together, which isn’t good because in rowing the entire team must work together.

The movie shows what the boys went through during that time period. They were met with challenges left and right and they had to work hard to win. The movie shows each character, without diving too deep into their backstory except Joe, and how the underdogs strive and continue no matter what gets in their way. Go watch the movie to find out if the boys win and how much of an impact and difference they made on the world during this serious and sad time period.

10/10 recommend watching this incredible and inspiring movie that makes you feel like you can do anything you set your mind to.