Student Athlete Spotlight: Michael Hare

West Morris Central wrestling just closed out one of their most successful seasons in recent history. Senior Michael Hare had his own success and contributed to the team. He was 19-9 on the season (excluding any tournament wins and losses).

Michael Hare won his first district title during his senior year (photo via Jen Sheppard)

Hare began his wrestling career at a very young age. He was in first grade when he started. He shared “…my dad signed me up. He wrestled himself in high school and college so naturally he signed me up as soon as he got the chance.”

During his career at WMC he feels that “The best part of wrestling at WMC is the team. Between the coaches and the wrestlers we have such a tight knit group it’s almost like a second family.”Additionally, his favorite memory from his four years is “winning a district title and qualifying for the state tournament senior year.”

Hare looks to shoot during the district tournament (photo via Jen Sheppard)

Through his four years wrestling for the Wolfpack, Hare’s senior season was his best. He placed third at the Morris County Wrestling Tournament, won the district title and placed fourth to qualify for the state tournament. “It means so much to me to make it to Atlantic City this year. It’s a goal every high school wrestler has and not many get to achieve. To finally have achieved it and be able to finish my career in Boardwalk Hall is something I’ll never forget” Hare stated about qualifying for the state tournament this season. He was a key part in not only the match against Roxbury to win the conference championship, but in helping the team to get to that point. Hare said to The Paw when talking about what made this season so set apart from the previous ones that “…the difference was my discipline. I made sure in every aspect whether it was training or my diet or anything else I was doing the right thing.” Not only did Hare just contribute to the team as a wrestler but as a captain. Coach Marold had shared previously that the senior leadership from his three captains was one of their biggest strengths this season. Coach Marold commented on their ability to be great role models, work hard and set the pace in practice.

Hare stated that if he could tell freshman Michael something with what he knows now he would tell him “to put his head down, continue to work hard, and to enjoy every second of it.”