The Fight for the West Morris Regional Cup

Jessica Graff
Joey Ferrero and team after scoring game tying goal early in the second half

On September 19th, the night came that players dream of throughout their time in the West Morris Central Boys Soccer program—Senior Night.
Mendham and Central faced off in a stellar match for the West Morris Regional Cup, a trophy awarded to the winner of the Senior Night Game. Although a disappointing result for the Pack, the well-played game was something to be proud of, despite the 1-2 overtime loss. Central’s goal is credited to one of the captains, Joey Ferraro.
Although the game was certainly an unmistakable display of some of the amazing talent on both benches, the highlight of the night was undoubtedly the celebration of seniors in the program. Festivities included a ceremony commemorating the seniors, halftime games for local rec teams, and shirt throwing. The night was elevated by a packed stadium and an open concession stand. With an absolutely buzzing atmosphere, a well-fought, exciting game was inevitable.
Senior players include Sean Archer, Luke Bresney, Adam Cardini, Alex Cognetti, Carter Graff, Billy O’Keefe, Alex Witte, Owen Wormann, and Jason Zacchia. As well as the four captains, Zack Brady, Joey Ferraro, Ryan Han, and Josh Thies. Head coach, Steve Cukar comments on the work ethic of the senior class, stating “They go into each game focused, their work rate during training sessions is really good. On the field, I’m very happy with how we’ve been performing. Obviously, a lot of soccer left to be had, we’ve got to continue to have the right mindset, and I think with the seniors leading the pack, we’re in good hands.”
In spite of the outcome, it was a blinding show of not only skill but hard work put forth by the senior class throughout their four years in the program. It also proved as an indisputable reminder, that the West Morris Central Boys Soccer, is a team to be reckoned with this fall.