Reasons why Cheerleading should be considered a Sport

WMC Cheerleading – WMC Cheer Parents Association

“What sports do you play?”
“I cheer.”
“That’s not a sport.”
“Why not?”
Many cheerleaders understand the frustration of having their sport be labeled a school club. People do not realize that cheerleading is an activity that requires athleticism and physical exertion. In the article Stereotypes of Cheerleading from International Public Library, they explain that because of the lasting stereotype of “overly enthusiastic girls that lack intelligence and athletic abilities” cheerleaders are constantly fighting the battle of being overlooked. However, cheerleaders still have to abide by sports requirements. They also receive varsity letterman jackets. These are all outcomes that other players receive because of being part of a sport. So why is cheer not one?

West Morris Cheerleaders as well as other students all had strong opinions on this subject.

Varsity cheerleader and lacrosse player, Hayden Wall, states, “Cheerleaders put in the effort every other sport does and we all are a team.”

Varsity cheerleader and softball player, Raffaela Kinney, states, “I think cheer really should be considered a sport because we get to letter in it just like any other varsity sport, we put in a lot of practice and time and effort. I don’t see it as a club, I see it as a sport because of all the dangerous stunts we do and not anyone can do that.”

Participants are not the only ones who disagree with the limitation of cheerleading. Field Hockey and Lacrosse player, Julia Speicher, states, “In cheer you have to do stunts and it’s hard to lift people up and to be lifted.” Additionally, varsity football player and wrestler, Tommy Borgia, states, “Cheerleaders have to go to practice most days a week and are always working on their routines.” People can see the hard work and effort that cheerleaders put in every performance.

Not only do students view cheer as a sport, “the International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognized cheerleading as a sport in July 2021.” Olympic recognition is just the first step to changing the future for all cheerleaders, including high school cheer.

Controversial views come from the misinterpretation that cheerleaders only stand on the sidelines. JV cheerleader, Maddy Pollio states, “People don’t know how hard it is to stunt because they just see us on the sidelines.” However, while standing on sidelines, cheerleaders still participate in stunts, cheers, and dances which require stretch, coordination, and hardwork. All of these had to be practiced and perfected to be performed in front of the crowds.

All sports in West Morris Central require to have codes of conducts, physicals, and HIB meetings. Cheerleaders complete all of these. Additionally, to be an active part in a sport you must require athleticism, which cheer also requires.

Varsity Cheerleading Captain, Sabrina Gummersell, states, “We have a lot of the same requirements but we don’t necessarily get the same attention as a sport or same funding as a sport or the same respect as a sport than other teams.” It is discriminatory that cheerleaders work as hard as other sports during practices and require just as much talent and risk but still are not accepted.

Although cheer does not participate in competitions, If accepted as a sport, cheerleaders would be able to compete with other schools, such as West Morris Mendham High School and Warren Hills High School. Fundings might also increase, allowing them to exchange the wrinkled pom poms they’ve used for many years. Cheerleaders are tired of being overlooked. Making cheerleading a sport would create a more inclusive environment for the girls that work so hard. So, if making cheer a school sport only increases a positive environment, why is it not?