Jake Salamone: December Student Athlete of the Month

Julie Githens

Congratulations to Jake Salamone on being awarded on being the December 2023 Student Athlete of the Month!
Salamone has been playing ice hockey for twelve years, including all his years here at WMC. He says that the team for Central has a strong dynamic: “The WMC team players are always looking to support each other in good and tough times. We play as one and take responsibility for mistakes as a whole team instead of as individuals.” The importance of this is shown as the team has been doing incredible during the season so far, having a conference record of 6-0-1.
Regarding academics, Salamone ensures that “he gets all schoolwork done as my first priority when I don’t have a practice or game.” Along with keeping up with academics as his advice, he would specifically advise his freshman self to “go into every practice or game with a positive attitude, because they are some of the best moments of high school.”
Salamone’s favorite moments playing ice hockey at Central come from “winning the championships back-to-back years.” However, these championships stemmed from a tough couple of earlier years. Salamone’s toughest memory was Central’s “winless season my freshman year and having to battle back stronger in future years.”
Lastly, Salamone says “The best advice that I have ever received from a coach is to never skip the beans in the Chipotle line.”
Congratulations on this accomplishment, and best of luck in the future, Jake!