Chapter Done: Writer’s Strike

Leaders of the screenwriters union say their nearly five-month strike will finish after board members approved a contract agreement with studios, bringing Hollywood partly back from a historic halt
ABC News
Leaders of the screenwriters’ union say their nearly five-month strike will finish after board members approved a contract agreement with studios, bringing Hollywood partly back from a historic halt

Hollywood writers, according to Guardian.com, officially ended the 5 month strike on Wednesday September 27 at 12:01 after union leaders approved the agreement between the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers and the Writers Guild of America (WGA). Full details of the new contract have been sent to the writers and makers of many popular TV and movie streaming services and everyone is pleased with the effort they had put in to make it come to this point. 

According to Axios, on Sunday, September 24th the WGA and AMPTP reached a tentative agreement to help bring an end to the strike, officially ending the strike three days later on September 27th, 2023 after an anonymous vote the day before between the council of WGA.

Officially the strike has ended because all the agreements have been met, but WGA still has to wait for the new tentative contract between them to be signed by everyone, before things are formally over with. “We can say, with great pride, that this deal is exceptional – with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership,” the WGA said in a statement announcing the tentative deal Sunday. They did not mention what the tentative contract was; they described it and said  it’s a good deal that helps both parties. “To be clear, no one is to return to work until specifically authorized to by the Guild. We are still on strike until then”  a representative from the WGA said. 

Many of the people fighting for the strike are very happy with the decision, and proud to have made it this far. On many websites such as deadline everyone had positive things to say about the end of the strike. Billy Ray who is a writer and filmmaker stated “To all my fellow writers— You earned this. You saved our profession. Now let’s continue to stand with the actors. And IATSE. And the Teamsters. And labor everywhere. That’s how we’ll save America”. Writer Eric Haywood states, “This has been one of the most stressful experiences of my life but at no point was it ever not worth it. I’m proud to have played a part, however small, in this chapter of the Guild’s history.” Others are just insanely happy with the results including Philip Ascove who just said “WE DID IT!!! #wgastrong.“ 

Nobody knew how long the strike would last, or how long it would take for each and every person who dedicated their time and money to finally get what they deserve. Now is the time for both sides to return to work and continue making the shows and movies that people love.